04 September 2006

One more week. One more week. One. More. Week.

Oh. My. God.

I cannot wait until I get cable internet.

I’ve always had dialup at home. It’s a pain in the arse, but cheap. And the company I went with was a non-profit that charged a bit more, but in turn supplied cheap and/or free access for low-income folks, so it was all good. I’d had some problems with the speed, so was given a different phone number to use. You only got it if you complained, and it was faster and acceptable.

Recently the non-profit was bailed out by a for-profit entity, and I wondered how soon it would be before it all went in the crapper.

Hmmm, about a year or so.

They recently, for whatever reason, changed the phone number. It’s been horrid, all sorts of trouble connecting, unbearably low speed. I’ve sent several emails, and the most recent response said, basically:

  • This stuff happens.
  • You probably don’t have it set up correctly.
  • Oh, and if you want to cancel (as I had threatened), be sure to call our billing department.

That’s nice. Lovely way to treat someone who’s been a customer for over five years.

So I logged onto Comcast cable. Signed up online. Simple as pie. I’ll get my self-installation kit and FREE modem in a week or so. Then I’ll be able to actually SEE all my friends’ MySpace pages without waiting for hours! Possibly keep my own page updated! Upload stuff to my website in minutes! Who knew?

More expensive, but hey, some of the best things in life are NOT free, unfortunately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and welcome to the 21st century!